As the weekend of love looms ahead of us I thought I would share the recipe for a delicious grain, dairy and refined sugar free chocolate cake which will satisfy even the biggest chocoholic in your life! If you are not lucky enough to have a significant other in your life, why not make this for you and your mates and eat it while tucked up watching a chick flick? Nothing spells sisterly solidarity better than a slice of chocolate cake! And this one is guilt free!
This recipe is actually not my own. I came across it on a website called www.healthylivingwithchocolate.com and it was a huge hit in our house so I thought why mess with it!? It is even nicer the following day and it so rich and yummy.
Here is the recipe guys! Happy Valentines!
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¾ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup raw coconut palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup coconut milk, full fat
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
Middle Layer Chocolate Ganache*:
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 4 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons coconut milk, full fat
- ¾ cup 75% chocolate chips (use chopped if you cannot find it)
- Preheat oven at 175C
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 7-inch springform pan with coconut oil and line the bottom with parchment paper
- In a large bowl mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, raw cacao powder, raw coconut palm sugar, baking soda and salt
- In a separate bowl whisk together the coconut oil, coconut milk, eggs, vanilla and honey
- Using a rubber spatula, gently mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients to form a batter. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 45-50 minutes. If you feel you need to cook it longer, cover cake with aluminum foil to prevent burning the top and lower the heat to 160C. Cook until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely then cut horizontally in the middle
- Spread the chocolate ganache over the bottom half of the cake and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Top with other half of cake, then spread the chocolate frosting over the top and sides of the cake
- Sprinkle top with shaved dark chocolate if desired
Middle Layer Chocolate Ganache:
- In a medium saucepan, bring the coconut milk and honey to a light boil
- Simmer on low heat for two hours, stirring occasionally. Do not cover the pan. You will know you cooked it long enough when the coconut milk is reduced to half and has a thicker consistency and darker color, similar to sweetened condensed milk.
- Mix in the raw cacao powder and vanilla extract and stir until all is combined and smooth
- Let it cool and refrigerate until cake is ready
- melt the chocolate chips in a bowl over simmering water (double boiler)
- mix coconut milk with melted chocolate until all is combined and smooth
- let cool for 5 minutes before icing the cake
The middle layer chocolate ganache takes a long time to make. Make it well ahead of time.
Recipe serves about 10 people.