By now many of you should be well under way on your New Year detox. If, like me, you unfortunately given in to the urge for bad foods over the festivities, you will have been more than happy to begin eating properly again and avoiding all those gut inflaming foods and booze!
I began my detox yesterday (2nd Jan) and must say I already feel better.
Here are some tips on kick starting the New Year detox, and allowing your poor body to regain some pride and loose the gut!
1. Avoid all toxic foods such as dairy, grains, sugars and processed foods in general. What your body needs right now are cleansing and real foods with plenty of natural anti oxidants and minerals. Do this by increasing fruit and veg intake.
2. Drink plenty of water - at least 2 litres of water a day. This will help rehydrate your body after all that booze, and flush out bad toxins. It will also awaken your fragile and under-worked brain as you try to return to normality after the Christmas holidays!
3. Sleep well - proper sleep has been shown to make incredible differences to gut inflammation and overall well being. Get at least 8 hours good quality sleep a night if possible.
4. Treat your liver nicely! Too much alcohol over the festivities means our poor livers may be ready to pack up and move out! Treat your liver to liver-friendly foods such as green leafy veg, eggs and nuts. Try taking milk thistle.
5. Start exercising - this kick starts metabolism and increases endorphins.
Good luck with feeling better!
Source: Rebecca Edwards, Naturopath.